0207 993 6762

Marriages and Civil Partnerships in the UK


You can apply for this Visa under these conditions.

  • You should atleast 16 years old or more
  • You should be free to get married or get into a civil partnership (single, divorced, widowed)
  • You shouldn’t be closely related to your partner
  • You need the consent of your parents or guardians if you are under the age of 18 years old
  • According to new norms introduced on 29th March 2014, same sex couples in England and Wales can get married.

Things to do

The steps to getting married or into a civil partnership are as follows.

  • You have to give notice to your local register office
  • You should have a religious or civil ceremony after 16 days of giving notice to the local register office


  • Your valid passport
  • Your birth certificate
  • Your driving license
  • Your national identity card
  • Your Immigration status document

You should also provide at least 2 of the following

  • Your bank statement for the last 3 months
  • Your Council Tax bill
  • Gas, water or electricity bill for the last 3 months

If you are a widow or divorced,

  • You must provide a decree absolute or final order
  • Death certificate of your former partner

Marriage for Foreign nationals

In case you do not belong to EEA or Switzerland, you can get a visa to the UK and then carry out your procedure of getting married or entering a civil partnership.
Once you are in the UK, you and your partner should submit a notice to the designated register office.

If your partner is from the UK or settled in the UK, you can do the following.

  • If you intend to stay for more than 6 months - Apply for a Family of a Settled Person Visa
  • If you intend to stay for less than 6 months – Apply for a marriage Visitor Visa