TIER 2 INTRA COMPANY TRANSFER (ICT) VISA
Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer, more commonly known as Tier 2 ICT, caters to those companies who invite their employees from overseas to work in their head office in the UK.
You can apply for this Visa under these conditions.
- You do not belong to European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- Your employer has offered you a role in the organisation in UK
- You pass the basic eligibility requirements
- The UK Company must possess the Sponsor License to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship to you
- Your work in the UK office must be related to your work of your sponsor organisation
Tier 2 ICT Sub-categories
Tier 2 ICT is further sub divided into 4 sub categories.
- LONG TERM STAFF – This visa is for employees who got transferred to the UK office into the role which can’t be
refilled or replaced by a UK recruit. To be applicable for this visa, you have to work with the UK office or
a period of more than 12 months.
- SHORT TERM STAFF – The rules are same as Long Term Staff, except that you should leave the UK
within a period of up to 12 months.
- GRADUATE TRAINEE – This sub-category is for new graduates who have enrolled themselves in a structured training managerial or specialist programme. You should have worked for at least 3 months at the overseas office.
- SKILLS TRANSFER – Under this visa, the overseas employees get transferred to the UK head office to enhance their skills and knowledge. There is no minimum period requirement in respect to company experience.
Once you have selected to one of the above categories, you have to pass the Tier 2 ICT Points Assessment to be eligible for this visa.
Tier 2 ICT Points Assessment
To be eligible for any category of this visa, you must pass the points assessment by scoring a minimum 60 points from the following criteria.
- Certificate of sponsorship – 30 points
- Appropriate Salary ( Min £20,000) – 20 points
- Maintenance – 10 points
To score 10 in Maintenance, you must show funds of £800 in your bank account for at least 3 months before application.
In case your potential employer is an A-rated sponsor, they can provide you with a cover letter regarding your maintenance requirements.
The application process can take up to 3 months or more. It is advisable to apply for the visa 3 months before
the final date.
The maximum stay for applicants of each sub-category of Tier 2 ICT visa is as follows.
- Long Term Staff – 5 years, 14 days
- Short Term Staff – 12 months
- Graduate Trainee – 12 months
- Skills Transfer – 6 months
Dos and Don’ts
Once you are eligible for the visa and have migrated to the UK, there are a few dos and don’ts that you must be aware of as a Tier 2 ICT Visa Applicant. Here are a few tips which might come handy.
- Work for your sponsored job
- Travel abroad and return to UK
- Do a second job (that isn’t from the same sector as your main job up to 20 hours a week)
- Your family can travel along with you when you apply
- Enroll yourself in some educational programme
- You can’t start with your second job before you start working for your sponsor
- You are not eligible for Public Funds
- You can’t start work before getting your visa