EU Citizens In The UK After 30 June 2021

EU Citizens In The UK After 30 June 2021

EU Citizens in the UK After 30 June 2021

One of the results of Brexit was the end of freedom of movement between the EU and the UK. Although old EU residence documents, such as UK derivative residence cards and permanent residence cards, are still recognized after the official Brexit end-date on 31 December 2020. But they would no longer be valid after 30 June 2021. This means EU citizens must now apply for necessary documents to enter, stay, work or study in the UK. So, if you are moving to the UK as an EU citizen, the following are some of the most commonly used visa and immigration routes available to you. 

1. Tier 1 Visa

The UK Tier 1 visas are of various types – the Tier 1 Investor visa and the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa. However, the Exceptional Talent category is no longer open for new applications. As an EU citizen, you can get a Tier 1 Investor visa with Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) status after 5 years if you can invest at least £2m in the UK Government or UK companies. With an investment of up to £5m or £10m, you will be eligible for ILR after 3 and 2 years, respectively.  

2. Skilled Worker Visa

If you’re sponsored by a UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) authorised employer or have a job offer in the UK, you can apply for a Skilled Worker Visa, formerly known as Tier 2 (General) visa. This is the major route for skilled immigrants seeking jobs in the UK. However, your job offer must be on the list of eligible occupations. Also, it must attract a stipulated minimum salary, depending on the type of work. With the Skilled Worker visa, you can apply for permanent residency in the UK after 5 years.

3. Student Visa

EU students above 16 years can apply for a Student Visa. The requirements for a student visa will depend on the programme you are applying for and your school of choice. For instance, you may need evidence of consent from your parents, depending on your age. There is also a Child Student Visa route for students between the age of 4 and 17. The UK student visa generally requires that a licensed education provider has admitted you for a course.

In addition, you must show proof that you have enough money to pay for the tuition and support yourself for the duration of your course in the UK. If you are applying from outside the UK, you may start your application process anytime from 6 months before the start date of your course. You should get a decision within 3 weeks after application. If you are applying from inside the UK, then you may apply anytime from 3 months before the start date of your course. You will usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

4.    Temporary Worker Government Authorized Exchange visa

This visa is available to EU citizens who are coming to work in the UK for a short time. It’s also available to those partaking in training, fellowship, or research programmes by any government authorized scheme. As a result, you must have a sponsor and a certificate of sponsorship reference number from them. This certificate of sponsorship is usually valid for 3 months after the issue date. Furthermore, you’re expected to have a minimum of £1,270 available to support yourself during your stay in the UK.

5. Innovator Visa

You may be eligible for the UK innovator visa if you are above 18 and want to set up a business in the UK. Specifically, the business must be innovative – different from other businesses already available in the UK market. You must first submit your business idea to an endorsing body for approval. The body’s decision can make or mar your chance of getting this visa. If they reject your business plan, you can’t get the Innovator visa. Financially, you need a minimum of £50,000 in investment funds to apply for this visa. You’re also required to prove where you got this funding from.

EU Citizens In The UK After 30 June 2021. If You Are Already In The UK

If you are an EU citizen in the UK and would like to continue living in the UK after 31 June 2021, you must apply for the newly recognised status known as the EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline for applications for this scheme is 30 June 2021. If you fail to submit your application on or before this date, you may no longer be eligible to continue living in the United Kingdom. If you are able to successfully submit your application before the deadline, you will be eligible to continue staying in the UK.

Understanding the EU Settlement: Who is Eligible?

You are eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, and you were residing in the United Kingdom before 1 January 2021. You are also eligible if you are a citizen of Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway. Other eligible persons are family members of the EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens. You can also apply if you are a family member of an eligible person of Northern Ireland. Your children can also apply for the scheme.

How to Apply

You can apply for the EU Settlement Scheme either by post or electronically. It is a free application that is accessible online on GOV.UK. You will need certain documents to prove your eligibility for the application. The required documents include proof of identity and proof of residence. If you are applying as a family member, you will need proof of qualifying relationship with your family member you are applying to join. Proof of length of stay in the UK is also important.

EU Citizens Who Don’t Need to Apply for Settlement Scheme

Some EU citizens may not need to apply for the settlement scheme to be eligible to continue staying in the UK after June 2021. If you are an Irish citizen and you have a valid Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you don’t need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. Also, if you are working in the UK as a frontier worker but don’t live in the UK, you don’t need to apply for the settlement scheme.

What Rights Does the EU Settlement Scheme Give?

If you apply for the EU Settlement Scheme successfully, you will be able to continue residing and working in the United Kingdom after 30 June 2021. The UK government will grant you either settled status or pre-settled status. This will depend on how long you’ve been residing in the UK when you submit your application. The status you get will also determine your rights as an EU citizen living in the UK after June 2021.

Understanding Settled Status

If you are granted settled status, you will be eligible to continue living in the UK indefinitely. You will also be able to apply for British citizenship if you are eligible.

If you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years, you will usually get settled status. In other words, you have spent at least 6 months in any 12-month period in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Pre-settled Status

If you don’t have 5 years of continuous residence in the United Kingdom, you will usually be granted pre-settled status.

If you are granted pre-settled status, you will have the right to continue living in the UK for another 5 years. After you have maintained 5 years of continuous residence in the UK, you will be eligible to change the pre-settled status to settled status.

EU Citizens In The UK After 30 June 2021 have the above options and if you wish to have professional help with your application please click here to book a FREE CALL with one of our Immigration Advisers.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Discuss Your Case For FREE

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x